Financial Support

The Division of the Social Sciences offers tuition scholarships at the time of admission, and the majority of admitted students who request scholarship consideration receive scholarship aid. Admitted students can also apply for additional funds after receiving their offer. Funding consideration is most generous during our Early Action round. We encourage prospective students who would need scholarship aid to enroll apply during Early Action or Round 1.

Admitted students can also apply for a limited number of full-tuition scholarships after receiving an offer of admission, but Round 2 applicants are not able to participate in this competition. Individuals who would need full tuition support to enroll should apply during Early Action or Round 1. Please note that we cannot cover costs beyond tuition.

Requesting consideration for scholarships does not have an impact upon consideration for admission.

The estimated tuition cost for full-time enrollment for one year (three courses, three per quarter) can be found on the Bursar’s website. Further explanations of tuition and fees can be found on the Division of the Social Sciences website. Enrolling in a program of study includes additional costs beyond tuition. For a full list of direct and indirect expenses associated with the cost of attendance, please visit the Cost of Attendance page of the Graduate Financial Aid Office website.

Most incoming students apply for funding from their undergraduate colleges, from outside scholarships, and occasionally from their home countries. Some colleges provide fellowships for alumni who go on to graduate study elsewhere. Check with your undergraduate Career Service Office and your Dean of Students (or their equivalents). The University of Chicago’s fellowship database also lists scholarship opportunities available to master’s students and can be a useful resource.

Student loans are also available, both through the University and through private lenders, but international students should note that many US lenders will not issue a student loan without a US cosigner.

International students should look into possible fellowship opportunities from their home governments, and review the websites of their local US consulates or embassies. Funding opportunities can also be found through EducationUSA. There are also a variety of nationality- specific fellowships for which you might be eligible:

In addition, our Office of International Affairs maintains a comprehensive list of funding available to international students.

It is common for MA students to work on campus. Graduate students at UChicago cannot work more than 20 hours per week, though we recommend students work 10 or less given the demands of graduate study. Incoming students may be able to begin a student employment position prior to the start of Autumn quarter with the permission of the Dean of Students Office.

Many students work as Research Assistants (RA) for individual faculty, but positions are not typically arranged until shortly before the start of fall quarter. The Department Administrators (not the Chairs) are the best initial contacts, to see if they know of faculty who need RAs. Outside of RA work, incoming students can search for part-time jobs through GRAD Gargolyle once they have a CNET ID and password. Part-time jobs may be available at the Regenstein Library, the Smart Museum, the Court Theatre, the Institute for the Study of Ancient Cultures, the 140 Centers and Institutes on campus, or NORC (the National Opinion Research Center).