Deadlines and How to Apply
Applications for study in 2020-2021 are now open. There are two application deadlines for admission for Fall Quarter 2020:
January 4: Priority Deadline
May 15: Final Deadline (Extended)
**Please note that after our Priority Deadline, further applications to the program are considered in the order they are received and completed as late as May 15th, as long as scarce capacity for further students in our next yearly cohort remains available. Although we make every effort to accommodate later applications, we cannot guarantee full consideration to those received after January 4th.
The Office of Admissions must receive ALL materials supporting your application by the appropriate deadline. Applicants who submit their applications prior to December 1st will have their application fee waived.
Our application process is now entirely online (paperless). All supporting material - including letters of recommendation, transcripts, and writing samples must be submitted electronically through the online application.
A completed application for the one-year CIR MA program should contain the following:
- A completed online graduate application (available starting in September).
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate institutions (unofficial transcripts from all academic institutions may be submitted electronically).
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test Scores (Math, Verbal, and Analytical); use institution code 1832. Note: GRE scores are no longer required for the Autumn 2020 application cycle due to unexpected testing disruptions.
- Candidate Statement (approximately 800 words, or 1-3 pages).
- 3 letters of recommendation, preferably from academic writers familiar with your work as a student.
- $90 non-refundable application fee.
- International applicants for admission to the University of Chicago must meet the English Language Requirements outlined by the Division of Social Sciences.
- A ten to twenty-page writing sample (ideally from a seminar paper or senior thesis).