Deadlines and How to Apply
Applications for study in the fall of 2018 will be available mid August. There are two application deadlines for admission for Fall Quarter:
January 4: Priority Deadline
April 30: Final Deadline
The Office of Admissions must receive ALL materials supporting your application by the appropriate deadline. Applicants who submit their applications prior to December 1st will have their application fee waived.
Our application process is now entirely online (paperless). All supporting material - including letters of recommendation, transcripts, and writing samples must be submitted electronically through the online application.
A completed application for the one-year CIR MA program should contain the following:
- A completed online graduate application (available starting in September).
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate institutions (unofficial transcripts from all academic institutions may be submitted electronically).
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test Scores (Math, Verbal, and Analytical); use institution code 1832.
- Candidate Statement (approximately 800 words, or 1-3 pages).
- 3 letters of recommendation, preferably from academic writers familiar with your work as a student.
- $90 non-refundable application fee.
- International applicants for admission to the University of Chicago must meet the English Language Requirements outlined by the Division of Social Sciences.
- A ten to twenty page writing sample (ideally from a seminar paper or senior thesis).